A large part of working at a vape shop is assisting customers who would like to make the transition from smoking cigarettes to using vaporizers. The goal at any good vape shop should be to help you make that transition as painless as possible by providing you with the kind of information you need to make the best decision regarding your individual wants and needs. Each new customer comes with their own unique set of needs and preferences. This blog should help you navigate away from some of the choices that could overwhelm you or fall short of your expectations.
Vaping has evolved significantly in the past few years. Two types of e-liquids are now available, and each have their own pros and cons. The first type of e-liquid is a “freebase” liquid, the other is a nicotine salt. For an in-depth look at the difference between the two, “What are nicotine salts?”
If you smoke at or below one pack of cigarettes per day or have been vaping for some time and wish to keep the nicotine low, a sub-oHm device may be more appropriate for you. Sub-oHm devices produce a large amount of vapor and are designed for direct lung hits. For many years, sub-oHm vaping was often more rewarding because a person could use very low nicotine juices (freebase) and still have a very satisfying vaping experience.
If you smoke at or above one pack per day, you may be a perfect candidate for nicotine salts. However, there are a few factors to take into consideration. These factors include but are not limited to the following:
- You don’t want to use a high nicotine product
- You are more sensitive and cough while vaping salts
- You are using a sub-oHm device
- You do not smoke and are merely looking to vape socially
Nicotine salts require the use of Mouth-to-Lung devices (MTL). There are specific devices available for vaping nicotine salts called “pod” systems. These systems have coils designed to accommodate nicotine salts. Pod systems do not do well with higher vegetable glycerin juices. They will significantly reduce the life of your coils and pods.
Here are some additional items to consider:
- Low level salts are perfect for most smokers, while 2 pack smokers ought to try high level salts
- 6mg freebase juices are typical of a 1 pack a day smoker in sub-ohm devices, 12 in an MTL tank
- When upgrading to a higher performance device, decrease your nicotine content as appropriate
- If you can’t decide what nicotine level is best for you, lean towards less to avoid harsher hits
Always remember the Premium Vapors staff is available to answer all your questions and help you succeed. We have a tasting station available so that you may try both freebase and nicotine salts. We can also help you make the most appropriate device choice for your needs. Who knows, we may even make you laugh.